St Hugh's was founded in Bickley, Kent in 1906 and and after a short spell in Chislehurst moved out to Malvern during the war. In 1945 it moved to its new home at Carswell Manor, a fine Jacobean country house with extensive, attractive grounds. The school proudly bears the name of Hugh of Avalon, Bishop of Lincoln from 1156 to 1200. It is in membership of the Incorporated Association of Preparatory Schools and is administered as a charitable educational trust by a Board of Governors.
For many years St Hugh's was solely a boys' full boarding school. Since 1977 we have been co-educational and we see this as a key element in the family atmosphere which pervades St Hugh's and which enables our children to grow up in an environment where courtesy and consideration for others are paramount.